Spells 1 to 30
To Be Written
- to be held as priosner inthr undrer of the god.
2: Spell for going out into the day and living after death.
- O you Sole you One who shine in the moon, O you Sole One who glow in the sun, may N go forth from among those multitudes of yours who are outside, may those who are in the sunshine release him, may the Netherworld be opened to him when N goes out into the day in order to do what he wishes on earth among the living.
4: Spell for passing on the upper road of Rosetjau.
- I am he who fixed the limits of the flood and who judged between the Rivals, I have come and I have removed the evil which was on Osiris.
5: Spell for not doing work in the realm of the dead.
- It is I who lift up the arm of Him who is insert; I have gone out of Hermopolis, I am a living soul, I have been initiated into the hearts of the baboons. the leading of my army , the health of my god.
6: Spell for causing a shabti to do work for a man the realm of the dead.
- O shabti, allotted to me, if I be summoned or if I be detailed to do any work which has to be done in the realm of the dead; if indeed obstacles are implanted for you therewith as a man at his duties, you shall detail yourself for me on every occasion of making arable the fields, of flooding the banks or of conveying sand from east to west; 'Here I am,' you shall say.
7: Spell for passing by the dangerous coil of Apep. ass
- O you waxen one who take by robbery and who live on the inert ones, I will not be inert for you, I will not be weak for you, your poison shall not enter my members, for my members are the member of Atum. If I am not weak for you, suffering from you shall not enter into these members of mine. I am Atum at the head of the abyss.
8: Spell for opening up the West by day.
- Hermopolis is opened and my head is sealed. O Thoth, the eyes of Horus is unblemished, the Eye of Horus saves me, and splendid are my ornaments from the brow of Ra, father of the gods; I am this Osiris here in the West. Osiris knows his day, and if he does not exist in it, then I will not exist in it. I am Ra who is with the gods and I will not perish; stand up, Horus, that I may number you among the gods.
9: Spell for going out into the day after opening the tomb.
- O you soul, great majestic, behold, I have come that I may see you; I open the Netherworld that I may see my father Osiris and drive away darkness, for I am beloved of him.
- I have come that I may see my father Osiris and that I may cut out the breath of Seth who has harmed my father Osiris. I have opened up every path that is in the sky and on earth, for I am the well-beloved son of my father Osiris. I am noble, I am spirit, I am equipped; O all you gods and all you spirits, prepare a path for me.
10: Another spell for a man's going out onto the day against his foes in the realm of the dead.
- I have dug up the sky, I have hacked up the horizon, I have traversed the earth to its furthest extent, I have taken possession of the spirits of the great ones, because I am one who equips a myriad with his magic. I eat with my mouth, I defecate with my hinder-parts, for I am a god, lord of the Netherworld, I have given up those things which were established in the past, I have planned appearance in glory.
11. Spell for going out against a foe in the realm of the dead.
- O you who consume your arm, prepare a path for me, for I am Ra, I have come forth from the horizon against my foe. He has been given to me ad he shall not be taken from me. I have extended my arm as Lord of the Wereret-crown. I have stridden out with the speed of the uraeus when my foes has not been put into my hand for me. Such is my foe, he has been given to me, he shall not be taken form me. I have arisen as Horus, I have sat down as Ptah, I am as strong as Thoth, I am mighty as Atum, I walk with my legs, I speak with my mouth in order to seek out my foe; he has been given to me and he shall not be taken from me.
12. Spell for going in and out.
- Hail to you, O Ra, guardian of the secrets of the gates which are on the neck of Geb, because of this balance of Ra with which he weighs his justice daily. Behold, I have hacked up the earth, and I have been permitted to come, having grown old.
13. Spell for going in and out of the West.
- To me belong all men, I have given everything to myself. I have gone in as a falcon, I have come out as a phoenix, the god who worships Ra. Prepare a path for me, that I may enter in peace into the beautiful West, for I belong to the Lake of Horus, I leash the hounds of Horus. Prepare a way for me, that I may go in and worship Osiris, the Lord of Life.
14. Spell for removing anger from the heart of a god.
- Hail to you, you who descend in power, chief of all secret matters! Behold, my word is spoken: so says the god who was angry with me. Wrong is washed away, and it falls immediately. O Lords of Justice, may this god be gracious to me, may my evil be removed for you. O Lord of Offerings, as mighty ruler, behold I have brought to you a propitiation-offering so that you may live on it and that I may live on it; be gracious to me and remove all anger which is in your heart against me.
- To Be Written
- This Spell does not exits. The number was originally given to a Vignette of the rising sun which was intended as an illustration to accompany a Sun-Hymn.
- To Be Written
20. The deceased appeals to Thoth to vindicate him before the tribunals of the Gods.
- O Thoth, you who vindicated Osiris against his enemies, may you entrap the enemies of N in the presence of the tribunals of every god and every goddess:
- In the presence of the great ribunal which is hel din Heliopolis on the night of battle and of felling of those who rebelled.
- In the presence of the great tribunal which is in Busiris on that night of erecting the two djed-pillars.
- In the presence of the great tribunal which is in Letopolois on that fateful night of performing the night-rutual in Letopolis.
- In the presence of the great tribunal which is in Pe and Dep on that night of comforming the heritage of Horus in respect of the property of his father Osiris.
- In the presence of the great tribunal which is in the two banks on that night when Isis mourned for her borhter Osiris.
- In the presence of the great tribunal which is in Abydos on that night of the haker-festival and of the numbering of the dead and spirits.
- In the presence f the great tribunal which is on the Road of the Dead on that night of making inquiry into him who is nothing.
- In the presence of the great tribunal which is in the Great Devastation.
- In the presence of the great tribunal which is in the Naref.
- In the presence of the great tribunal which is in the Roset-jau on that night when Horus was vindicated against his enemies.
- Horus has become great happily, the two Conclaves are pleased about it, and Osiris is glad. O Thoth, vindicate N against his enemies in the tribunal of every god and every goddess, and in those tribunals of Osiris which are behind the shrine.
21. Spell for giving a mouth to N from him in the realm of the dead.
- Hail to you, Lord of Light, pre-eminent in the Great Mansion, in charge of the twilight! I have come to you spiritualized and pure. Your arms are about you and your portion of food is before you; you may give me my mouth which I may speak, and may my heart guide me at its hour of destroying the night.
22. Spell for giving a mouth to N for him in the realm of the dead.
- I have arisen from the Egg which is in the secret land, my mouth has been given to me that I may speak with it in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the Netherworld; my hand shall not be thrust aside in the tribunal of all gods, for I am Osiris, Lord of the Rosetjau. I will share with this one who is on the dais, for I have come for what my heart desires into the Lake of Fire which is quenched for me.
23. Spell for opening the mouth of N.
- My mouth is opened by Ptah and what was on my mouth has been loosened by my local god. Thoth comes indeed, filled and equipped with magic, and the bonds of Seth which restrict my mouth have been loosened. Atum has warded them off and has cast away the restrictions of Seth.
- My mouth is opened, my mouth is split open by Shu with that iron harpoon of his with which he split open the mouths of the gods. I am Sakhmet, and I sit beside Her who is in the great wind of the sky; I am Orion the Great who dwells with the Souls of Heliopolis.
- As for any magic spell or words which may be uttered to me, the gods will rise up against it, even the entire Ennead.
24. Spell for bringing magic to N.
- I am Atum-Khepri who came into being of himself upon the lap of his mother Nut, who gave jackals to those who are in Abydos and hunting-dogs to those who are in the tribunal. I have collected this magic in every place where it was, from the possession of anyone who possessed it, more speedily than a hound, more swiftly than a shadow. O you who bring the ferry boat of Ra, strengthen your rope in the north wind. Ferry upstream to the Island of Fire beside the realm of the dead, collect this magic from wherever it may be, from the possession of anyone who may possess it, more speedily than a hound, more swiftly than a shadow. Transform yourself into a heron, the mother who created you; the gods are hushed, your mother has made you warm for the gods. Now there is given to me this magic, to whomsoever it may belong, more speedily than a hound, more swiftly than a shadow.
25. Spell for causing that N be remembered in the realm of the dead.
- A name has been given to me in the Per-wer, my name has been remembered in the Per-neser, on that night of reckoning the years and of counting months. I am this builder, I sit on the eastern side of the sky. As for any god who shall not come to following after me, I will declare his name to those who are yet to be.
26. Spell for giving N;s heart to him in the realm of the dead.
- My house is mine in the House of Hearts, my heart is mine in the House of Hearts, my hearts is mine, and it is at rest there. I will not eat the cake of Osiris on the eastern side of the Gay-water in the barge when you sail downstream or upstream, and I will not go aboard the boat in which you are. My mouth will be given to me that I may speak with it, my legs to walk, and my arms to fell my enemy. The doors to the sky are opened for me; Geb, chiefest of the gods, throws open his jaws for me, he opened my eyes which were closed up, he extends my legs which were contracted; Anubis strengthens for me my thighs which were joined together; the goddess Sakhmet stretches me out, I will be in the sky, a command shall be made for my benefit in Memphis, I shall be aware in my heart, I shall have power in my heart, I shall have power in my arms, I shall have power in my legs, I shall have power to do whatever I desire; my soul and my corpse shall not be restrained at the portals of the West when I go in or out in peace.
27. Spell for not permitting a man's heart to be taken from him in the realm of the dead.
- O you who take away hearts and accuse hearts, who recreate a man's heart (in respect of) what he has done, he is forgetful of himself through what you have done. Hail to you, lords of eternity, founders of everlasting! Do not take N's heart with your fingers wherever his heart may be. You shall not raise any matter harmful him, because as for the heart of N, this hearts belongs to one whose names are great, whose words are mighty, who possesses his members. He sends out his heart which controls his body, his heart is announced to the gods, for N's heart is his own, he has power over it, and he will not say what he has done. He himself has power over his members, his heart obeys him, for he is your lord and you are hi body, you shall not turn aside. I command you to obey me in the realm of the dead, even I, N, who am vindicated in peace and vindicated in the beautiful West in the domain of eternity.
28. Spell for not permitting N's heart to be taken from him in the realm of the dead.
- O Lion, I am a weneb-flower; the shambles of the god is what I abhor, and my heart shall not be taken from me by those who fought in Heliopolis.
- The original spells ends here. The rest of the spell is an addition which is very corrupt and virtually untranslatable.
29. Spell for not permitting a man's heart to be taken away from him in the realm of the dead.
- Get back, you messengers of any god! Have you come to take away this heart of mine which belongs to the living who move about. The gods who rest for me have heard, falling headlong on their faces… in their own land.
29A. Spell for not taking away the heart of one whose conduct has been vindicated in the realm of the dead.
- My heart is with me and shall not be taken away, for I am a possessor of hearts who unites hearts. I live by truth, in which I exist. I am Horus who is in hearts, he who is in the middle of what is in the body. I live by saying what is in my heart, and it shall not be taken away; my heart is mine, and none shall be aggressive against it, no error shall subdue me. I take it that I may be in the body of my father Geb and of my mother Nut, for I have committed no sin against the gods, and nothing shall be deducted in that respect from my vindication.
29B. Spell for a heart-amulet of sehret-stone.
- I am the phoenix, the soul of Ra, who guides the gods to the Netherworld when they go forth. The souls on earth who will do what they desire, and the soul of N will go forth at his desire.